Monday, August 17, 2009

Back to School

Today was the first day of school for me. "Hell Week"... I mean, pre-planning is over and the school year has officially begun. This will be an exciting and challenging year for me. I have been a computer teacher for years... and this year I have transitioned to a fifth grade teacher. I teach at an amazing school for dyslexic children. It's called the Schenck School... get this... pronounced "SKANK" Honest!

Anyway... I met my kiddos today and all my fears, worries and anxieties slipped away. I feel a tremendous responsibility to learn about each child and what makes them tick, so to speak. To help them discover the way they learn best and build on that. To unlock the power of print for them so that they too can enjoy reading and writing. To instill a love of learning so they continue to learn even outside of school. To build their confidence so that they believe their Dyslexia is a gift and not a barrier.

It was a great day today seeing my new class. I look forward to this year's adventures as a 5th grade teacher....

Teaching at a Dyslexic school adds to my alphabet obsession. I love the posters, retro magnets, flashcards, anything in the shape of letters.... I found this photo on The Purl Bee's blog. It's a post about magnetic fabric letters. Looks fun, huh? She has a how to....

0 comments: