Sunday, January 16, 2011

let's start sewing...

Today, I brushed off the dust off my "brand new" sewing machine and attended the first of two sewing classes at InTown Quilters. I bought this sewing machine a few years back and all I did was basically take it out of the box and fiddled with some fabric. Then, it went away to storage... two kids later...
My mom bought me the class for Christmas and I have been looking forward to it ever since. It was great! I learned so much today. My teacher is very helpful, knowledgeable, patient and encouraging.... everything that I need in a beginner class. There were three other girls in the class and everyone else was in my same boat. One just buying her machine yesterday!
Today, we learned all about our machine, learned to prepare the bobbin and thread our needle. We practiced different stitches then made a tissue holder above. What I learned was that I have a lot to learn! There is so much to know about supplies, fabrics, stitches, back stitches, needles, thread, etc. But I love it and can't wait to jump right in. I'm going to practice making more tissue holders this week because I could definitely improve and that's the only thing I know how to make right now. Next week we are going to make a tote bag. I look forward to picking out my fabric. I'll keep you posted... I know, exciting stuff! HA!

Reese's friend, Katharine turned two and celebrated at Gymboree today. She had a blast! Happy Birthday Katharine!

0 comments: